8.22.2008

9 Lives and Beyond


Wookie, my beloved cat of 15 years died on a Tuesday night. It was April 15 2008. She now lays about a foot under the roots of an orange tree in our backyard. Wookie was the best furry sidekick a girl could have. She never left my side. Even on the days when I was too busy to pet her or even glance at her, she was always ready to come and sit by my side, gently perched against my shoulder, and purring me peacefully to sleep. She definitely endured some major illness during her last few years. There were many close calls when I thought she was literally heading towards that proverbial light. But she always got better. Wookie proved that cats DO have nine lives. This time, when she got really sick, I knew she had finally cashed in all her life tokens. Her final days, I held her as long as I could and provided her with as much comfort as possible. Her last final hours were spent in my arms and I could only hope she felt comforted. I feel sad that in the last two years, I had literally pushed her away from my side to make room for the dog and the baby. But in her final years, she seemed healthier outdoors, eating the grass and cavorting in the sun. Wookie was the only cat I ever owned, and she will always have a huge place in my heart.

No comments:

the zen warriors