9.18.2008

Yellow

If you have a child, know a child, or know of someone who has a child…then most likely, you have heard of The Wiggles – those 4 singing-dancing-wiggling guys dressed in colorful star-trek outfits. I first saw them about three years ago. There they were, 4 grown men prancing about and singing a duck/rooster song. My first thought was: “Are your kidding me!!” What right-minded child would watch these men who clearly looked uncomfortable dancing to silly nursery rhymes. But lo and behold – the children around me were mesmerized.

In my household…the Wiggles ROCK!! Sophia’s favorite song is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but she calls it “Up Above” and tries to dance to it just like the ballerinas in the video. Her second favorite song is “Big Red Car” and she's got the moves down. Not a meal goes by without a Wiggles song being sung. Numerous Wiggles videos now line our shelves, and Cam and I are forced to watch them. I must admit I have come to love those colorful dudes, and I find that I enjoy watching their videos long after Sophia has lost interest.

So, who are these mature, professional-looking men, and what insanity drove them to wiggle to children’s songs? I heard a rumor that they were a failed band that found success in children’s entertainment. Actually, there is some truth to that. The blue and purple wiggles were in a little-known band called the Cockroaches. The blue, yellow, and red wiggles were classmates in an early childhood development class. In their pursuit to become teachers, they became good friends and decided to put together an album of children’s songs. More than a decade later, they’ve almost conquered the world of children.

Recently, Greg the yellow wiggle was replaced due to a chronic condition called Orthostatic Intolerance. Again: “Are you kidding me??” It almost sounds like a joke. Why? Because Greg is towering tall - his height has become his own downfall. Ha ha ha. I’m probably the only one laughing. But seriously, I’m sad to see him go. He was my favorite.

No comments:

the zen warriors